The Golden Thread
Spurgeons' Golden Thread is a video diary project for families with a father in custody at HMP Winchester. The Golden Thread provides an opportunity for fathers in prison and their children to communicate positively by sharing personal achievements and milestones.
What is The Golden Thread?
The Spurgeons Golden Thread project provides a video diary service to families with a father in custody at HMP Winchester. Whilst social visits are restricted and Family Days are cancelled, the Spurgeons Golden Thread video diary service provides an opportunity for fathers in prison and their children to communicate positively by sharing personal achievements and milestones.
Alongside the video diary, the fathers will keep a journal that over time will become a record of their children's progress and personal development.
How does it work?
Families will be invited to record a short film of their children using their phone or tablet. All videos must be limited to a maximum duration of three minutes. Films can be submitted once per month.
Once received by the Spurgeons team at HMP Winchester and films have been checked to ensure guidance has been adhered to, the film will be made available on DVD for the father to watch. Please note: If the film does not meet the criteria below it will not be shown.
Spurgeons colleagues will then film a response video with the father in custody and return this to the family. Over time this will create a video diary record for each family.
Rules and criteria:
- Anyone in the film must be on the father's contact list. If there are contact restrictions in place this may result in your film being rejected.
- Appropriate clothing must be worn.
- Films with bad language or inappropriate comments will not be shown.
- Films must not be of public places where they show other people in the background.
- Videos must be recorded in English (Unless you have discussed this with Spurgeons and made arrangements beforehand).
- Films must not exceed 3 minutes.
How can I get involved?
There are two ways you can take part in The Golden Thread video diary project:
- Families can refer themselves using the link below. Once a family referral is made, the Spurgeons team will make contact with the father to gather information and confirm that they wish to participate.
- Fathers in custody can put an App into the Spurgeons team at HMP Winchester who will meet with them to gather information before contacting the families to check they wish to participate. Families will need to complete the application form below.
The Golden Thread video diary application form
To register your interest in The Golden Thread video diary project, complete the application form linked below.
What can I share in my video diary?
If you are looking for inspiration of things to include in your Golden Thread video diary this video produced by the Spurgeons team covers several ideas of things you can share as part of your video diary, as well as some handy tips for filming your video.
Support for families
Spurgeons delivers a variety of activities and programmes to support both fathers in prison and their families.
Offering a Helping Hand
Read our guide to supporting those affected by IPP sentences
Hear about how the StoryBook Dad programme works with fathers in prison
Our family days are a way for children to connect with their parent in prison
Top Tips for Families
Read our guide to supporting a child with a parent in prison
Support services and useful links for families affected by imprisonment
News and Blogs
Read the latest news and blogs from Spurgeons Prison Family Services