Birmingham Children's Centres and Family Hub
Spurgeons Children’s Centres and Family Hub offer a wide range of activities, children services and parenting courses in Birmingham for parents of children aged 0–19 years that will help you and your family to give your child the best start in life. Working together, we will support you to build on your strengths as a family.
What do our children’s centres and Hodge Hill family hub do to support families?
Spurgeons provides support to families in Birmingham with children aged 0 to 5 as part of the Birmingham Forward Steps Partnership.
Our experienced teams are based at our children's centre venues in Erdington, Perry Barr, Sutton Coldfield and as part of the Hodge Hill Family Hub in partnership with Birmingham Forward steps, providing outreach services in local community venues.
We support families with children aged 0 to 5 to get the best start in life. Our Birmingham Children's Centre Services and Family Hub offer parents and carers:
- Information, advice and family support services in Birmingham including parenting courses and groups
- Advice on how to access childcare provided by nurseries or childminders
- Access to children health services including midwives, and health visitors
- Support for children with specialist needs, including sensory rooms
- Messy play, rhyme time sessions, baby group sessions and stay and play in Birmingham
- Training and employment support links with Jobcentre Plus, local training providers, further and higher education institutions
Our early years and family support in Birmingham:
Services for those who are pregnant or have a baby
Advice and support on what to expect when you have a new baby
Advice and support on infant and newborn feeding
Baby massage classes
Fun activities to do with your baby, such as music and baby rhyme times
Services for families with toddlers
- Parenting programmes and advice to help you understand your child's needs and build your confidence as a parent
- Fun activities to do with your toddler such as messy play, rhyme time and stay and play sessions in Birmingham. Some centres also have outside play areas where children can explore and learn
- Access to free early years education for two-year-olds whose families receive particular benefits
- Information about free early years education for three or four-year-olds
- Help with gaining qualifications and considering employment opportunities and benefits
- We conduct IMDRs (Integrated Mandated Development Reviews) for children aged 24- 30 months using the Ages & Stages Questionnaires
Services for families with children who have additional needs
Spurgeons Children's Centres can provide advice and support to parents and children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Each Children's Centre can provide information on Birmingham's SEND Local Offer
Some of our centres hold support groups and most have sensory rooms which are fully equipped to provide a safe, comfortable and stimulating environment for you and your child to play together
Support for fathers
Dads are really important to children's lives and are welcome to come along and enjoy all of the services provided.
Where are our Children's Centres and Family Hub in Birmingham?
The Spurgeons team work across four districts of Birmingham (Erdington, Hodge Hill, Perry Barr and Sutton Coldfield), and can be contacted via the details below:
Hodge Hill DistrictDyson Gardens Children's Centre
145 Highfield Road,0121 752 1950
Erdington DistrictLakeside Children's Centre
Lakes Road,0121 752 1970
Erdington DistrictFeatherstone Children's Centre
29 Highcroft Road,0121 752 1870
Erdington DistrictCastle Vale Children's Centre
Yatesbury Avenue,0121 752 1920
Hodge Hill Family HubKitts Green Children's Centre
45 Ridpool Road,0121 752 1280
Hodge Hill DistrictTame Valley Children's Centre
Chillinghome Road,0121 752 1100
Perry Barr DistrictLime Tree Children's Centre
Heathfield Road,0121 752 1900
Perry Barr DistrictRookery Children's Centre
Rookery Sports & Arts Centre,0121 752 1840
Sutton Coldfield DistrictHolland House Children's Centre
Holland Road,0121 752 1860
Hodge Hill DistrictAnthony Road Children's Centre
80 Anthony Road,0121 752 1930
Frequently asked questions about Children's Centre Services in Birmingham:
What can children's centres provide?
Our children’s centres in Birmingham offer a safe space and inclusive space for families to seek out information and support, access parenting courses, and groups, as well as opportunities for children to learn and grow.
We will also be able to help you access specialist services, and support you in enabling your child and family to flourish.
What is Birmingham Forward Steps?
Birmingham Forward Steps was formed in January 2018, and offers integrated health services and wellbeing support to families and children from pre-birth to the age of 5 years old. Improving outcomes for young children and their families, BFS aims to reduce inequalities between families in the greatest need and their peers in:
- Child development and school readiness
- Parenting aspirations and parenting skills
- Child and family health and life chances
What happens at a children's centre?
At our children’s centres, we offer a range of family support services in Birmingham so parents can give their child or children the best start in life. Working with parents of children aged 0-5 in four districts, we work with you to build upon your strengths as a family.
Visit the Birmingham Forward Steps website
The Birmingham Forward Steps Partnership has a dedicated website providing information for parents and professionals on the range of support available across the city
Read baby Tara's story
Spurgeons Digital Family Hub
Our growing Spurgeons Digital Family Hub, with always available online resources supporting families with parenting after separation, disordered eating, families affected by imprisonment and more...